Thursday, July 4, 2013

Happy 4th of July.

Happy 4th of July to all my American friends. As I read more about what this day signifies, I realized that more than anything, this day signifies democracy. Also these words below,
Let the images from Egypt remind us of what we are celebrating, and how far we have come... With wonder and awe we saw the fireworks tonight in our own land, standing shoulder to shoulder with people speaking different tongues. We may belong to different groups and have conflicting beliefs, but at the least, we recognize the hopes and ideals of freedom and democracy are enduring......and worth fighting for.

It is beautiful. Truly a reason to celebrate and for immigrants like us from countries that have suffered under dictatorship and that still suffer their affects, it is even more valuable.

20130703-4

I love that the USA is proud of its diversity. I love that if we choose to live here, my daughter will grow up with others from different religions, speaking different languages, coming from completely different backgrounds. I love that this diversity forces us to expand our horizons, to not judge, to accept differences and to learn from each other. 

Hope you guys are doing awesome. Be back soon.

PS: Love this article about what the Americans are actually celebrating and what has changed since the day the declaration of independence was signed.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let me know what you think. I would love to hear from you!